Rhoda Fajardo 3D Rhoda Fajardo 3D: 5 Books That Improved My Mindset About Money And Business

Aug 13, 2015

5 Books That Improved My Mindset About Money And Business


5 Books That Improved My Mindset About Money And Business

I can't finish a f*cking book. I have an attention span of a 3 year old kid. Most probably the reason why I have difficulty staying in school, or getting a steady job. I get bored easily in steadiness. I don't have patience for boring sh*t. In the event that you are anything like me (can't focus, get bored easily, impatient, etc), I wanna share with you my favorite way to read — audiobooks.

Listening to audiobooks in my reading corner when I'm not too busy with my freelance gigs, helps me focus, and train my subconscious mind to tell my lazy ass to take steps in turning my dreams into reality. And I wanna share my favorite books with you.

#1: Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki


I luuurve this book because it's about financial education not being taught in schools. This book also showed me the ugly truth about our parents teaching us how to be mediocre or poor, not because they don't love us, but sometimes, they just don't know what they're teaching us.

Rich Dad taught me the proper way to save and spend my money, by creating a cash flow. And most importantly, these 2 words — Assets and Liabilities, where assets are anything that puts coin in our pocket, and liabilities are anything that takes coin from our pocket. This is why I've been creating and curating digital assets in my shop to test and improve my own cash flow. And in case shit happens, I got myself a VUL from SunLife Financial to secure my 3 daughters' future.

#2: GirlBoss by Sophia Amoruso


If Robert Kiyosaki is my Rich Dad, I consider Sophia Amoruso, owner and founder of Nasty Gal, and author of #GirlBoss, my Rich Sister. I love this book because it literally spoke to me. It mirrored who I am as a person. Most of the stories in this book reminded me of my childhood. I was a rebel and had a hard time staying in school. I also got kicked out of "ALL" the schools I went to coz I was a misunderstood troublemaker.

Sophia also has a lot of vague ideas of what anything means, which is very similar to how I think. And I had to agree with almost every word she said in the book. She's a feminist and then bashes feminism at some point. I mean, she has this twisted sense of humor like I do — and it's so entertaining.

#GirlBoss is not a book about how to start a business. It's a collection of stories of Sophia Amoruso's life, her shortcomings, the problems she had, and the life lessons she learned from her experiences. I super recommend this book so that you'll be inspired to use your creative and chaotic brain to your advantage.

#3: The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason


This book tells us that there are 2 basic concepts in acquiring wealth.

The first concept is: For every 10 coins that you earn, pay yourself 1 coin first, and then spend the rest of the 9 coins. This may seem like basic shit, but most people lack the discipline to do this (including myself, before listening to this book).

The second concept is: Money is a commodity that generates profit. Given that you're religiously following the first concept, realize that your money can generate profit. DON'T JUST LET YOUR MONEY SIT IN THE BANK. Invest in yourself through financial/business education.

There are many mentors in the planet who can teach you how to multiply your money (See, Compounding Interest), so you can invest in stocks or create your own business, depending on your expertise and niche market.

#4: The Art of War by Sun Tzu


This book tells us that business is the modern day warfare. There are also different important concepts in this book that we can use for our business, and even our daily lives.

The first concept is: Know your enemy and know yourself, and in 100 battles, you will never be in peril. Just like this quote from G.I. Joe, "Knowing is half the battle" (then queue G.I. Joe theme song). For instance, when you are applying for a job. Instead of just going straight to the job interview without any knowledge about the company or employer, you should do your research first so that you'll be ready when the hiring manager starts asking you the hard questions. Same principle applies in business. You should know what your client's problem is first, before pitching your products or services, so that you have a better chance of winning (or closing that deal).

The second concept is: Avoid what is strong. Attack what is weak. In other words, don't compete with the power players head on, especially when you are still small. Stay in the game but avoid them at all costs so they won't eat you alive. They could be real assholes sometimes. Only attack when you are stronger. But always remember to play fair. Don't be cruel.

The third concept is: To win 100 battles is not the height of skill — to subdue the enemy without fighting is. In the digital age, it's so much easier to show anger towards others, especially in social media. And when you start sharing your own thoughts and feelings about the haters, they hate you even more for it. It's like, everybody else is allowed to get pissed and YOU'RE NOT. I know, I know, it's the #victimmentality. But hey, these are just my thoughts, so f*ck off . . . JUST KIDDING!

Now, going back. If I understood this concept correctly, I think it means that instead of engaging in battle, kill them with kindness. But if "you are too proud", just ignore the enemy (even if they're sometimes too annoying to ignore).

#5: A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin (a.k.a. Game of Thrones)


The thing is, I've never read the 5 books because, like I said in the title of this post, I can't finish a f*cking book through reading. I've watched all 5 seasons of Game of Thrones on HBO instead. Hehehe. I've already blogged about the 10 Business Lessons I learned from the Mother of Dragons, which is basically business lessons I learned from Game of Thrones in Daenerys Targaryen's perspective.

The lessons I learned from Game of Thrones is like the summary of all the 4 books above. Just like when Daenerys experienced a wide range of character-forming battles and lost, but then rose from the ashes after her husband, Khal Drogo died. She then takes up her very own alliance by building a trusted internal circle of counsels and winning over armies of loyal soldiers through empathy and sympathy. And now she's ready to go to war, together with her 3 dragons, army of Unsullied and Dothraki, and reclaim the Iron Throne. I really can't wait for Season 6! Waaaah! #GoTfangirl

How about you, what are your favorite books?


And what are the life or business lessons you've learned? Share your thoughts in the comments below.


Rhoda Fajardo 3D

actions

Did you like this post? Leave a comment!