Rhoda Fajardo 3D Rhoda Fajardo 3D: Which Is Better SketchUp Or 3DS Max?

Feb 4, 2016

Which Is Better SketchUp Or 3DS Max?


Which Is Better SketchUp Or 3DS Max?

Once upon a time, I’ve created my freelance design business online (using Facebook) for my sidelines and called it RF 3Design Solutions, where RF stands for Rhoda Fajardo, which is my name.

RF 3Design Solutions is about Architecture and Interior Design.


But I'm focusing more on 3D visualization, a.k.a my passion product. My main tools for the trade are SketchUp, Vray, and Photoshop. You might be thinking “SketchUp? Are you kidding? People use 3DS Max nowadays!” — Sure. But 3DS Max is complicated. Besides . . .

SketchUp is very easy to use and less time-consuming.


Also, if used properly and efficiently, you can’t really differentiate a SketchUp render from a 3DS Max render, or even reality. There are unconventional ways we can use SketchUp, ya know.

Sketchup VS 3DS Max


Modelling


3DS Max is more on high poly or organic models because that’s what makes a rendered image photorealistic most of the time. The basic tools of SketchUp don’t have an option to subdivide or smooth your model, that’s why it’s very important to take advantage of SketchUp plugins available on the web.

Rendering


3DS Max is well known for producing realistic renderings but the thing is, it's hard, you have to take classes to learn the software, plus, it eats up a lot of hard disk space from your computer. However, just like SketchUp, rendering in Max is also done by render plugins such as VRay. So why settle for something less user friendly than something very fast and easy to use?

So, which is better?


As a loyal SketchUp user, of course I’d go for SketchUp. Using SketchUp is easy, fast, and with the help of powerful plugins, very efficient. Below are some samples of my work that I’ve done using SketchUp and Vray with Photoshop touches:

RF 3Design Solutions

RF 3Design Solutions

RF 3Design Solutions

I’m very happy with my SketchUp-Vray-Photoshop renders, even if the above photos aren't really the most photorealistic renders you can see online. I sure could use more practice til I achieve the most photorealistic SketchUp renders of all time. I haven't tried using 3DS Max so I really don't have much to complain about.

Overall, I still think that SketchUp is better than 3DS Max in so many ways.


However, I don't think it's a good argument to say a program is not as good because it's harder to learn. Maybe I will give 3DS Max a try in the near future — or maybe not.

Need help with your projects?


Wouldn't it be great if you could just pawn off your Design Presentations to someone who loves Creating 3D Visualizations ? When I'm not changing dirty diapers, taking care of my 3 kids, or pacifying my crying baby, (you know, what loving mothers do?) I can help YOU Design and Visualize your Unbuilt Projects! Call or text me at 0917-903-0852 for inquiries.


Rhoda Fajardo 3D

graphics

Did you like this post? Leave a comment!