Rhoda Fajardo 3D Rhoda Fajardo 3D: 5 Ways To Lower 3D Visualisation Costs

Mar 24, 2016

5 Ways To Lower 3D Visualisation Costs


5 Ways To Lower 3D Visualisation Costs

3Design is becoming an industry standard, and finding a great architect/designer/artist who offers it isn't that hard. The good news? Most firms don't charge more for 3D — they either offer 3Design, or not.

How much does 3Design or 3D Architectural Visualisation cost? This is a question I get asked ALL THE TIME. To give a precise estimate, its generally useful to see the drawings first to gauge the difficulty of the project and understand the time it will take to create the 3D model and the number of hours it will take to render. So I thought it would be useful to give you a better understanding of the factors to consider in comissioning 3Design services, then take a look at how to make the most of your budget.

#1: Send detailed drawings


Sending sketches or unfinished drawings means doing more work to interpret the drawings and fill in the areas that haven’t been designed. If you want to save money it’s best to complete the design and drawings before you send them.

And please don't send me a sketch that looks like this #fortheloveofgod . . .

RF 3Design Solutions

It's from one of my previous clients. I'M NOT JOKING! I can't even decipher the sh*t out of this (I really hope my ex-client doesn't see this).

#2: Send drawings in CAD format


RF 3Design Solutions

RF 3Design Solutions

I occasionally don't like to work from hand drawn plans, because it can eat up a lot of time to convert them into a digital file in order to start creating the 3D model. The floorplans above were prepared by Arkinetika. When you send a CAD file, I can easily import the plans in Sketchup and just trace them into 3D.

#3: Send a 3D model


All the photos below are modelled by me. It took me 2 weeks to finish the whole site. In case you're wondering what this project is, (NO! IT'S NOT A METH SUPERLAB) it's a Proposed Virgin Coconut Oil Plant, that's why there's machinery and mechanical stuff. The machine contractor for this project is Princena's Machine Shop.

RF 3Design Solutions

RF 3Design Solutions

RF 3Design Solutions

RF 3Design Solutions

Sometimes (in other words once in a blue moon), clients send me SketchUp models to minimize the amount of modelling work I have to do. Although this will save time don’t assume that all I’ll have to do is click the render button, because it’s likely that I’ll still have to detail the model, add some lighting, edit the materials, add reflections, bumps, etc. because I want to make my 3Designs as photorealistic as possible.

#4: Send all the references


This could be a Pinterest board of your favorite furniture, fittings, or images of a particular object, plant, fashion, or the actual image/s of the project itself. The more info I have at the start of the process, the faster I can work and this will help bring the costs down. As for this project, I had to see the actual machines and take measurements to visualize them accurately.

RF 3Design Solutions

Site coordinates can also be a great help so I can locate the project in Google Earth.

RF 3Design Solutions

#5: Allow plenty of time


For this project, the client required multiple views and a couple of 360-degree virtual tours. You might need Adobe Flash Player, or anything similar installed in your device/computer/browser, like QuickTime RealPlayer to view the virtual tour.

RF 3Design Solutions

View Virtual Tour
If you have an urgent deadline, I might have to deprive myself some sleep and look like a zombie. Giving me plenty of time, or at least some notice as to when the project might start or when your next client meeting is (if you're a design pro), will not only save money but also give you more opportunities for commenting on my progress and tweaking the model. Turn around time is usually 7 business days, up to 2 weeks.

What should you expect?


I don't do ‘give me the drawings and I’ll send you the renders’ style of service — I don't swing that way. I offer a personal service that gives you plenty of opportunity to review progress so the final output is better than you imagined (most especially if we're a good fit for each other . . . I mean, the project, hehe). Check out my render tools below.


You might also want to check out my tutorials for you to have an idea of the way I work and how I get my sh*t done.

Originally published on April 9, 2015. Edited on March 23, 2016.


Rhoda Fajardo 3D

graphics

Did you like this post? Leave a comment!